My favorite way to enjoy fresh peaches is to bake a Homemade Peach Cobbler! The secret is the middle crust.
It isn’t summer until we have homemade peach cobbler. This is the recipe my Mom made, and her Mom made, and is easily the best peach cobbler recipe around. Of course I’m not biased at all.
There are a few recipes where only the best will do, and this is one of them. Fresh peaches that have been pealed and a made from scratch pie crust are required for this cobbler. It takes time, and we only make it about once a year. But it’s a summer tradition that we all look forward to.
We gather together, dish out the cobbler hot from the oven, and serve it with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream. The hot and cold, sweet peaches and creamy ice cream just melt together to create utter perfection. It’s bliss that you can eat with a spoon.
The secret to the best peach cobbler recipe is two crusts. The middle crust that soaks up all the yumminess is my favorite part.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Thoroughly mix flour, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle water over the mixture; cut with the blade side of a rubber spatula until the mixture looks evenly moistened and begins to form small balls. Push down on the dough with the flat side of the spatula, if the balls of dough stick together you have added enough water. If the dough does not stick continue adding 1 tablespoon water at a time.
- Press the dough together with your hands until it comes together.
- Divide dough in half and form each half into a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges to size needed for baking dish.
- 2 Pastry crusts
- 6 cups fresh sliced peaches
- 3 cups sugar
- Place 3 cups of peaches in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with 1 1/2 cups sugar and a dash of cinnamon
- Layer one pastry crust
- Repeat layers of peaches, sugar, cinnamon, and 2nd pastry crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Looking for more peach recipes? Try my Cinnamon Roll Peach Bake.