Looking for the best birthday cake recipe? Whipped Cream Chocolate Poke Cake is the birthday cake you’ve been craving.
When my husband and I got married his Mom gave me two recipes. Lasagna and this Whipped Cream Chocolate Poke Cake. My husband’s birthday was about a month after we got married and those were two traditional things that he always had for his birthday. In fact, on the print out my mother-in-law gave me, the cake recipe is titled Favorite Birthday Cake.
Moist, chocolately, and delicious, I know why some people refer to this as a Better Than Sex cake. This might have started as my husbands favorite birthday cake, but it is now a birthday tradition that the whole family looks forward to.
You start with a basic chocolate cake recipe. You can make a cake from scratch, or use a box mix (which is what I do). Mix according to the directions on the box, but rather than baking in a cake pan, you bake the cake on a 15×10 cookie sheet. Yes, I did say cookie sheet. Obviously, this does need to be a cookie sheet that has sides (like a jelly roll pan).
Grease and flour the cookie sheet and then pour in the chocolate cake batter. Because the cake is so thin you only need to bake for 15-20 minutes.
Once the cake is finished baking you can poke the cake all over with a fork. Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the entire cake.
Let the cake cool and then frost with whipped cream. Finish by grating a chocolate candy bar over the top.
Whipped Cream Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 container of whipped cream
- 1 chocolate candy bar
- Mix chocolate cake mix as directed on package.
- Grease and flour a 15×10 cookie sheet.
- Pour cake mix in and bake at temperature indicated on package. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and poke holes all over with a fork.
- Pour 1 can sweetened condensed milk over cake.
- Let cake cool.
- Frost with whipped cream topping.
- Grate a chocolate candy bar over the top, or use chocolate sprinkles.
Looking for more birthday cake ideas? See my Great British Baking Show Birthday Party recipes.