I love citrus flavored dishes, from breakfast to dessert. And while I’ve had lemon and orange flavored breakfast dishes, I don’t think I’ve ever tried a lime inspired breakfast dish. Until now. I’ve taken my hankering for Key Lime Pie and created Key Lime Scones.
If you were curious what makes a scone a scone, I looked it up. (I was curious.) A scone is a a single serving quick bread, with baking powder as a leaving agent. They are baked on sheet pans and usually lightly sweetened. I’ll be honest, these scones might be slightly more than ‘lightly’ sweetened. Gotta balance out the tartness from the lime.
I did not put an egg wash on top of my scones when I baked them, but you certainly could. (And I might in the future.)
I did use a can of key lime pie filling from the store for this recipe. The scones have some of the pie filling as an ingredient in the bread themselves, and I also used more filling and piped it on top of the scones. My kids prefer sweet over tart so some of the scones I topped with white chocolate that I colored green.
And the majority of the scones I topped with both pie filling and white chocolate. That combination is my favorite. The combination of the sweet and tart makes me really happy.
I put the toppings in pastry bags and made a simple zig-zag back and forth over the top of the scones.
The recipe makes 12 scones, so that ones we didn’t eat right away I put into an airtight container. They were eaten for breakfast the next morning.
Key Lime Pie Scones
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup key lime pie filling (canned), plus extra for frosting
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- White melting chocolate (I colored mine green)
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and granulated sugar.
- Add the cold butter in small pieces. Use a pastry blender or the whisk attachment on your mixer to combine.
- Add the key lime filling and buttermilk.
- Stir to combine.
- Place the scone dough on a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Divide two into two halves.
- Cut each half into 6 slices.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Remove scones from the oven and allow to cool.
- Pipe key lime pie filling and white chocolate on top of cooled scones.